Sunday, September 30, 2007

Song of My Heart

Let me tell you a story.

This will be sappy.

Sometime this past spring I was riding the metro to work, standing beside a middle-aged woman who was singing. The singing was audible but not loud, a beautiful tune with seemingly no words or perhaps words meant only for her own understanding. Her eyes closed, serenity spread across the woman's face. This continued for a few minutes, and I stood listening, glued next to her inexplicably, when I could have easily moved away to take an open seat. A few others stared at her, judgment in their eyes, presumably regarding her as "crazy." When she opened her eyes and saw me smiling at her, she shrugged her shoulders, offering, in broken English, "I can't help it. My insides are singing."

Wow. Witnessing her personal happiness was something I'll never forget. I smiled for the rest of the day. Really.

I still think about that woman and her singing the song of her heart on the metro that day. If only everyone could be so attuned to our own heart songs and learn to embrace them as this woman had, rather than silence, squash, or disgard them as unimportant.

This memory comes to mind because lately I've found myself so HAPPY, maybe even radiating a little from the inside. I'm not sure how to explain it, but things just make sense lately. I'm in love, treasure the amazing relationships I have with my family and my friends, and feel truly purposeful and driven career-wise for the first time in my life.

My heart is happy. And just maybe my "insides" are singing a little bit too.

2 comments:

me! said...

SARAH! SARAH! K-FED GOT THE KIDS!!!!!!!!!! CHECK THE POST ON MY BLOG! YES YES YES!

Anonymous said...

You deserve all the happiness you dare to reach for!